Recently, Buzzfeed.com ran an article titled, 25 Things You Had No Idea There Were Words For. While you can find the full article here, here are the ones I think writers should not be without:
– Denominalisation: using a word that isn’t a verb as a verb
– Auralize: to mentally create a sound (the sound equivalent of “visualize”)
– Estival: pertaining to summer (the summer version of “autumnal” or “vernal”)
– Brumal: pertaining to winter
– Yonic: the opposite of phallic
–Susurrus: a whispering or rustling sound
– Sesquipedalian: a word that is polysyllabic -or- someone who uses such words, often while attempting to appear smart.
Semantic satiation – a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning.
Read more at: http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/things-you-had-no-idea-there-were-words-for and feel free to add your own words below.